Happy National Houseplant Appreciation Day! If you received a plant from a friend or from a plant swap but aren’t sure what it is, check out these handy ways to identify it:
Use your phone’s camera
Did you know both iPhones and Androids have a built-in plant identifier??
- Open the Google Lens app
- Take a new picture of the plant and tap the plant and Google will pull up the info it can find!
- OR: use an existing picture by tapping the library button in the lower left and follow the remaining steps above
- Take a picture of said plant
- In the photos app, select the picture
- Tap the “info” button at the bottom of the screen
- Tap the icon on the image and Apple will pull up the info it can find!
Search specific plant features
Try Googling specific features of your plant. Does it have special colors, unique leaf shapes, or colorful flowers? You can also look at how new leaves grow or if the plant is a vine or stands upright.
If all else fails (or honestly if you’re just too lazy to try other methods) ask Reddit! You’ll usually get an answer in a few minutes. Here’s the thread I’ve previously used to identify plants.